We are uncovering better ways of working (WoW) by doing it and helping others to do it. Through this work we have come to value:
Individuals and interactions over processes and tools
Consumable solutions over comprehensive documentation
Stakeholder collaboration over contract negotiation
Responding to feedback over following a plan
Transparency over (false) predictability
That is, while there is value in the items on the right, disciplined agilists value the items on the left more.
The Principles Behind the Disciplined Agile Manifesto
- Our highest priority is to satisfy the stakeholder through early and continuous delivery of valuable solutions.
- Welcome emerging requirements, even late in the solution delivery lifecycle. Agile processes harness change for the customer’s competitive advantage.
- Deliver valuable solutions continuously, from many times a day to every few weeks, with the aim to increase the frequency over time.
- Stakeholders and developers must actively collaborate to deliver outcomes that will delight our organization’s customers.
- Build teams around motivated individuals. Give them the environment and support they need, and trust them to get the job done.
- The most efficient and effective method of conveying information to and within a delivery team is face-to-face conversation, ideally around a whiteboard.
- Continuous delivery of value is the primary measure of progress.
- Agile processes promote sustainable delivery. The sponsors, developers, and users should be able to maintain a constant pace indefinitely.
- Continuous attention to technical excellence and good design enhances agility.
- Simplicity – the art of maximizing the amount of work not done – is essential.
- The best architectures, requirements, and designs emerge from self-organizing teams enabled by organizational roadmaps and support.
- The team continuously reflects on how to become more effective, then experiments, learns, and adjusts its behavior accordingly.
- Leverage and evolve the assets within your enterprise, collaborating with the people responsible for those assets to do so.
- Visualize work to produce a smooth delivery flow and keep work-in-progress (WIP) to a minimum.
- Evolve the entire enterprise, not just individuals and teams, to support agile, non-agile, and hybrid teams.
- We measure our work and its outcomes, preferring automated measures over manually gathered ones, to make data-led decisions.
- We provide complete transparency to our stakeholders in everything we do and produce, to enable open and honest conversations and effective governance of our team.
The Disciplined Agile Manifesto is an extension of the original Manifesto for Agile Software Development, written in 2001, that reflects the philosophies behind the Disciplined Agile (DA) toolkit. For a discussion of our thinking behind this manifesto, see Extending the Agile Manifesto – 2018.
- Chinese (Simplified)
- Portuguese (Brasilian)
- Portuguese (European)
Get a Poster
Would you like a printable poster of the Disciplined Agile Manifesto? Disciplined Agile Consortium (DAC) members can download a printable PDF file.